Sunday, April 7, 2019

The Week Where....I Choose a Future

Hello, once again…

The week really began with last Friday, which in all honesty was shit. The day seemed to be a domino effect of bad events and so, despite not having planned to go home until the Easter holidays, early on Saturday I found myself on a train home. The break away from the flat was much-needed in terms of keeping my emotional well-being on track, which didn’t apply so much to my own problems but to the weight of other people’s that had just become a little too much to bear. This was also made worse by a practical assessment in which the lecturer yelled and swore at me for doing things ‘wrong’, although rest assured I really don’t care as others seem to have had the same treatment and therefore it wasn’t necessarily myself at fault.

Visiting home was a blur of attempting to keep up with my two nephews (of whom seem to have reached the age where their energy is boundless), spending the day having drinks with my brother (in which I ended up buying more music tickets with him…sigh), and of course in seeing you Emma! Although I was thoroughly enjoying my time back home, I soon had to return to university for a meeting with my lecturer in which we discussed my year’s progress (where I tried to draw her away from the subject of my terrible attendance) and also next year’s options. We choose two modules, each being different areas of film such as directing, producing, editing, camera, sound etc…and at the minute, I’m caught up on three. Editing has always been a firm solid, as the film industry, no matter how big or small the company, is always seeking editors and so I’d always be guaranteed work. Also, editing is skill-based…once you learn to fully utilise the software, you’re on par with most other editors and can’t really succeed that point! Cinematography on the other hand, where my heart is firmly planted, is fiercely competitive and you have to be good. Your success in the field is determined on the lengths of your creativity, which has to surpass everybody else’s. Even though it’s the one area I seem to be a natural at so far, I’m not going to be guaranteed work. The final option is producing. Producing is essentially all the paperwork that leads up to a film being made…they’re the first people involved in the film and the last people home (…and fun fact, the producer is the one to cast the director and the actors, they essentially have more power than the director!). While producing isn’t the most enjoyable, it’s a well-paid and respectable career and I thrive at anything involving organisation…so it isn’t so strange that I’ve been drawn towards the idea of pursing it recently, but time will tell!

In other news, since returning to my flat I took the opportunity while my fridge was empty to embark on a proper food shop in hopes of kick-starting into healthy eating once again…boring I know, but it’s a good kind of change as recently I’ve become completely idle when it comes to cooking, to the point where I just ditched full meals and stuck to snacking which wasn’t exactly healthy. Now however, my fridge is stacked high with fruit and veg, and I’m taking the time to ensure my diet is actually clean. In addition, I’ve cut out all caffeine as the pounding headaches from being without it for a day got to point where I couldn’t concentrate, something that’s not handy for getting work done. I’m expecting this to fly out the window soon however as, as of next week, my friend is finally able to stay with me for the week and I can guarantee a take-out pizza or two will sneak it’s way towards me.

Overall, I feel like the break away, the promise of a good Easter holiday and a sudden clear outlook on my future career has left me feeling the most ‘ok’ I have in months which is greatly appreciated, and for now at least I am somewhat optimistic. I look forward to hearing back from you both, and to hopefully seeing you in the near future!


Until next time,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment